Tuesday, 20 September 2011

Thoughts on a Tuesday

I realised yesterday that I haven’t photographed myself for several months. I used to do it all the time. Snap odd pictures of me, laughing a little, use them for the self portraits I used to do, maybe feel a little self-conscious about it. Most do though, photograph themselves I mean. In some ways you don’t exist unless you’re being looked at by someone, even if that someone is yourself.

I mainly photograph what I make now a day. I got file after file of images relating to my craft, not so much art anymore sadly. Maybe I’ve moved on from the “I don’t exist unless someone see me” to “I don’t exist unless someone see what I do”. Whether it’s a good change or not, I don’t know…

Like most I want to know that I’m doing a good job. I want to be acknowledged for what I do/make. Today getting that acknowledgement is difficult. You’re a tiny thing in a much globalised world. There’s nothing to mark you out really. At the same time I often wonder at successful creative persons, they are not so much different from me, but yet they get all this attention. Thinking about it has led me to the conclusion that luck plays a big part, luck and a big social network. If you don’t have that than what do you do? I don’t know, but I’m not the type to give up a future in doing something I enjoy, neither am I really that big on being well known as in being a public person. I just want to create and be recognised for the work I do.

3 comments:

Maria said...

Tack för kommentaren! Jag har förresten en fråga till dig! Jag ska till London igen nästa vecka och jag undrar om du kan tipsa om några garn/ tyg/ knapp affärer som du rekommenderar. Jag har varit på Loop tidigare och iKnit känner jag till men har du några guldkorn att tipsa om? Ha det så bra!

Maria said...

Tack så jättemycket för alla tips! Jag ska givetvis meddela om jag hittar något intressant :).

Maria said...

Tack! Jackan får följa med :)