Monday, 24 October 2011

The North London Swedish School

If you’ve read my about page you know I’m Swedish. Not that it matters much most days it’s just that sometimes you get homesick and miss your first language. There is something very nice about understanding without effort, the melody being very familiar and soothing. There’s lots of Scandinavians in London and many of them have met English partners just like me. James Swedish is everything but brilliant so to get some chatter in my native tongue I spend time with a good Swedish friend I have here in London from time to time. However if you live here with your partner and have children it is not so obvious for the children to learn Swedish (or any other Scandinavian language). I was quite glad when I stumbled over a great initiative called the North London Swedish School, it’s a parent driven charity with a Saturday school for Swedish/English spoken children here in London. And guess what? They have asked me to supply teach for them some weekends this term! And the best is yet to come, I’ve been asked to think of arty/crafty activities on themes they can do next semester! Do you have any suggestions on themes? I’m thinking season wise already but some other nice ones would be fun too. 

Ps. The Dala horse was a commissioned pin cushion I made a year and a half ago...

4 comments:

Dalkullan said...

Tomtar i alla storlekar och enkla för barnen att göra själva?!

Tyg och otyg said...

Kul! Kanske något med utgångspunkt i typiskt svenska traditioner (alltså sådana som inte finns eller är annorlunda i England) så att barnen får med sig det också, förutom det svenska språket?

Hoola Tallulah said...

I lived in a foreign country and know how it can be sometimes, no matter how fluent you are in a second language, your mother tongue is always the most comfortable. Best wishes with your new role as a teacher, it sounds a lot of fun, and I love your wee dala horse! SO glad to have found your blog (I found you on flickr) :)

Svala said...

Thanks all! =o)

I'll be writing a document with my ideas and tips today. And the swedish approch will be there together with a more pedagogic one.